Thursday, June 6, 2013

Theme Thursday: Girls!

When we were pregnant with Amelia, we went to the 20 week ultrasound and had already decided that we were going to find out the gender.  For whatever reason, we were both convinced that we were having a boy.  When the tech moved the wand into place and asked us to guess what we were having, we had no clue how to respond as we really didn't know what we were looking at!  She said, "It's a Girl!"  I was shocked and excited as I looked over at John.....and saw his face fall and his entire body deflate!  When we left the room I asked him how he was feeling.  He said, "A girl will be good.  I don't know what to do with girls though, and I was really hoping to have a boy first, then a girl, so he could help me be his sister's protector."  Of course as soon as Amelia arrived she had him wrapped around his finger.  I remember immediately after giving birth to her, looking up to meet John's eyes and seeing them full of tears.  We did have a son 2 1/2 years later, and I think he will still be his sisters' protector.


Meeting Baby Sissy

 These two are going to be partners in crime.  Amelia had been praying for a baby sister for a LONG time.  I was willing to oblige, but her daddy didn't want any more babies.  Of course God knows better than we do what we need.  As I've said in a previous post, Lydia was a very unexpected surprise.  I had just had my IUD removed due to a possible early miscarriage and having just learned about its abortifacient properties (that I was of course NOT informed of when I had it placed).  I couldn't morally continue to use it knowing that bit of information and also having just learned what the Church believes about contraception (I'm a Catholic convert and this was during the midst of my conversion).  We don't have any NFP instructors near us without having to travel quite far, so I was trying to learn NFP on my own.  When I got that positive pregnancy test, I almost cried.  I knew what the reaction would be from my husband, and I was right.

Partners in crime

Several rough weeks went by before John was okay with the idea of another baby.  As the pregnancy went on we both became excited about the prospect of a third child.  Amelia had been saying all along that she was having a baby sister.  We tried to prepare her for the possibility of having another baby brother, but she would have none of it.  "I already have a little brother, so I'm getting a baby sister." 

Keeping Baby Sissy occupied while Mommy cleans


We took Amelia with us to the 20 week ultrasound so she could be with us when we learned the gender.  The ultrasound tech started the scan and asked, "Do you want to know the gender if we're able to get a good view?"  I told her we did and she proceeded to move the wand to the area in question.  She asked, "Do you want to guess or do you want me to tell you?"  John and I looked at the screen, and having seen both of our other children's ultrasounds immediately knew what we were seeing.  In unison we said, "Looks like another girl!"  We repeated it to Amelia and she immediately responded with a loud cheer.

I love the look on Lydia's face.  You can tell she thinks Big Sissy is pretty awesome.

As the tech left the room for a minute to check on something, John said, "Oh good, I think we were all hoping for another girl, especially since Amelia was already convinced that we were having another one.  That's good, I was wanting another girl."

I said, "Yeah, just think, Daddy.  You get to pay for TWO weddings now!"

The look on Daddy's face was priceless.  :)

Join Cari for more Theme Thursday posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment